This is a great place to release my thoughts. You should find a place to release yours too.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

significance, connectedness, and love

It is late and I am very tired. I played in the snow today. I love me some snow days. I love my friends as well. I was meaning to write yesterday about what was discussed in church, but I did not get around to doing it. So....


Ever since the beginning God has declared a sense of "value" or significance for everyone. He has never elevated someones worth or decreased its value. Everyone knows that God loves everyone, or at least they should know that, but this is not what I am saying. I am saying that God values each and everyone of us. All the same. We are all significant to him. And that significance is in a level we will never understand. But we should acknowledge how much we mean to him.

Connectedness...We have always been destined to long for a connection with people...relationships...but our first connection...our main connection should be with our Lord. God created us with a feeling of wanting more and wanting to be a part of something. Relationships, organizations, jobs, communities, churches...stuff like that. This is not a bad thing.

So let me paint this picture that was described to me.

God...Adam....Eve.
There was a significance that God placed in both of them. There was a connectedness that they all shared. Those 2 things were not any greater than you or I. God gives the same amount with everyone. So the fall of man happens. This is when "we" (because we should not just consider the first 2 who sinned, we are all in it together), decided to take the "value" and "connectedness" into our own hands. This clearly caused a problem. We did not feel valued like we use to. We no longer felt as connected.

This brings us to multiple problems we have today. We have this sense of "value" so what do we do? We do whatever we can so that we may have a feeling of significance. We want to be "remembered" for something, whether that is impacting peoples lives, being an amazing husband, friend, father, christian, son, brother (those are the top of my list). Like I said earlier, this is not a bad thing. It is good that we strive to want to be better and great, but...I think we often forget, and I have forgotten myself...

God cares about us all the same. He of course loves us all the same. And he definitely values us all of the same. I wish I could remind myself of this. Because I hate getting caught up in trying to "be that better person" just so people see that I am holy or good. I forget why I am really doing it. I want to do it for God. I want to serve him by serving others. I know God values me and what I do in my life. I finally have accepted that. I do not have to be a renown person to be valued by Him. It is funny how basic, yet so abundantly mysterious God is.

Connectedness. We want to feel connected. We had it perfect with Adam & Eve and God. But Man often 'controls' situations and desires to do it on his/her own. Once we destroyed that perfect triangle that contained God - Value & Connectedness (Us in the center), it went downhill. But now we still long for connectedness. We join communities, we have friend groups, we join groups at church, we are longing to be in relationships with people, because of our desire to connect with people. Like I said these are all good things and we should want to connect with people, but it can become scary, when we forget the connectedness God established with us since the beginning. We put all of our connection into other relationships instead of the one who blessed us with it.

I do this. I have done this for a long long time. I was talking to a friend I have not talked to in quite some time tonight. He said something that frightened me because of the truth behind it. I know this does not apply to everyone but it applied to me. He said. "It is unfortunate that we as young adults date other people whenever we are not even secure in our own relationship with God. I wish I would have considered this concept." I think this is our connectedness being disconnected if you will. I have experienced this. Where I thought I was secure, I was honestly not. I did not have a foundation and a strong base like I want/need. I know this is how we learn sometimes. It sucks and it is hard. But that is how life is. Accept it. Grow from it.

Sorry for the rambling. Hopefully some of this made sense.

Strive to maintain that connectedness with God. Know that he values you as He values everyone else. I think we will all be better off.

Goodnight. It is past my bedtime.

Quote "God does grace reach, to this side of madness? Cause I know this can't be the great peace we all seek."



-Christopher A. Wilkerson

No comments:

Post a Comment